Director of Global Communications
Wanted! An exceptional, experienced, self-directed leader with at least 7-10 years of work experience in marketing and communications, and a demonstrated passion for social impact.
About Amani Institute
Responding to the widely perceived gap between university education and the employment marketplace, Amani Institute's mission is to prepare a new generation of leaders creating careers and lives of meaning and impact. We do this by developing new models of education and training that enable participants to develop the practical skills and networks for long-term career success.
Our core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs concurrently in both Kenya and Brazil, and which has so far enrolled 225 Fellows from 40+ countries in every continent. The program has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, The Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, Vanity Fair, and The Huffington Post among other publications.
Amani Institute also develops customized training programs for foundations, universities, NGOs, and companies. Our 40+ clients to-date have included the US government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), UNICEF, Vodafone, Ashoka, Georgetown University, Oxfam GB, CARE, and HIVOS.
Amani Institute is a fast-growing non profit organization founded in 2011. Today we have “campuses” in Nairobi, Kenya and Sao Paulo, Brazil (and opening this year in Bangalore, India), and a staff with deep prior experience in the business, education, and social sectors. In addition, we are fortunate to be advised and supported by a faculty roster of over 30 global professionals at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace laureate, experts in leadership development from McKinsey & Company, a major documentary producer, a leading foundation director, and many others.
Through developing individuals who have the knowledge, practical skills, vision, courage, and networks to take on major challenges, our larger goal is to build much-needed capacity in organizations addressing social problems, thus enabling more effective operations across the entire field.
About the Position
It is a joy to help other people to build meaningful careers and lives. Around the world, there are increasing numbers of people seeking to build such careers but are unsure how to go about it. We invite you to apply to join us and lead the process of helping these people find us and building a larger ecosystem that includes our hundreds of partners, alumni, clients, and more. How do we offer them our programs? How do we keep them engaged? How do we create a community? These are some of the questions you will help us answer.
The Director of Global Communications will be responsible for refining and managing the communication strategy for Amani Institute as a whole as well as for our different programs in Brazil, Kenya and (soon) India. It will also include managing a new communication initiative - the Amani Journey mobile app. Beyond that, the role includes building external relationships with our stakeholders with the goal to increase visibility, brand awareness, and engagement of our potential audience.
The Director of Global Communications will report to the CEO and Executive Director, while also leading a communications team (4-6 members) that is globally dispersed across the organization, in order to implement the responsibilities below.
Location: Bangalore (India), Nairobi (Kenya), or São Paulo (Brazil) to start. This job could later move to another location after an initial period (2 years) of understanding how Amani Institute works and mastering the responsibilities of the position.
Overall Communication Strategy & Implementation
- Refine, further develop and implement a global communications strategy that brings a distinctive brand presence to Amani Institute and supports us towards achieving our mission
- Support country leaders in their local communication activities and align local communication content with the global brand and strategy.
- Manage internal communication platforms to ensure that institutional guidelines are met, local information is shared on institutional platforms, and knowledge sharing is occurring across the organization.
- Liaise with media to promote our efforts globally
Marketing of Global and Local Programs:
- Develop recruitment materials to market all our programs
- Manage the process of communicating via listservs, network partners, alumni, social media, advertisements, flyers, in-person events, etc to achieve our recruitment targets
- Develop new network partners and other relationships to further market the programs
- Continuously liaise with the recruitment team for each program
Storytelling - Content Creation and Distribution
- Develop and implement a system for systematic storytelling of Amani Institute’s impact, achievements by Amani Fellows, and engagement with the global movement towards careers of meaning and impact
- Manage development and distribution of all print and electronic collateral including program proposals, information videos, periodic newsletters, brochures, annual reports, funding reports, blog posts, etc
- Support the leadership team in developing ongoing knowledge products, as relevant
- Develop proposals for awards, funding, and other means of increasing credibility and brand awareness
Amani Journey – The App
- Develop and manage the distribution strategy for spreading the Amani Journey app
- Manage content curation and program implementation for the app
- Track user engagement and other analytics to ensure success of the app
Network Building and Enhancement:
- Build and maintain partnerships with current and future stakeholders, such as our Fellows, employer partners, and other network partners
- Supervise Community Manager in efforts to keep strategic communities engaged in our work
- Keep the CRM database updated
- Promote and represent the organization internationally at conferences and events.
Digital Communication and Marketing
- Supervise process of maintaining and updating the Amani Institute website
- Plan and execute all web, SEO/SEM, email, social media and digital advertising campaigns
- Manage and track Google ads campaigns
- Plan, execute, and evaluate various tests (A/B, multivariate) to drive conversion, increase brand awareness, etc.
- Demonstrated passion for making social impact, at both local and global levels
- Evidence of being a doer – strong work ethic, and high degree of performance and self-accountability
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, with high degree of empathy
- Independent, flexible and comfortable in a fast-moving, start-up like environment
- Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one
- Ability to not just multi-task, but even enjoy working on many different projects at once
- Native English speaker with excellent written and oral communication skills
- 7-10 years of experience in communication management, developing and implementing communication strategies and marketing campaigns.
- Strong experience in shaping a knowledge and communications strategy, as well as brand strengthening and visibility
- Broad knowledge of modern communication tools, including social media, video, and other means of digital communication
- Proven track record in monitoring and measuring impact of communications efforts
- Undergraduate degree in any field
- Comfort with communicating and collaborating virtually across global teams
Additionally, we will look favorably upon candidates who can demonstrate the following:
- Clear sense of a personal mission for one’s career and life
- International work experience
- Additional language skills in Portuguese and/or Spanish
- Familiarity with the social impact sector
- Undergraduate or master’s level training in communications, marketing, PR, and related fields;
- Knowledge of Google analytics/Google adwords, basic HTML/CSS and content management platforms such as WordPress.
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if:
- You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is "your responsibility" or not
- You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life
- You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth
- You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
- Salary and benefits will be commensurate with skills and experience for a social enterprise non-profit organization in Brazil and India
- This is a full-time position, with a minimum expectation of 2 years with the initial contract (after an initial trial period)
Application deadline: July 10, 2017
Expected Start Date: Flexible, depending on candidate situation but preferably September, 2017
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis so please send your application as soon as possible!