Monitoring and Evaluation Manager
Wanted!A self-directed and passionate professional with at least 3-5 years’ experience in Monitoring and Evaluation, with excellent analytical and writing (in English) skills, and a demonstrated passion for helping organizations like Amani Institute measure and demonstrate their social impact.
About Amani Institute
Responding to the widely perceived gap between university education and the employment marketplace, Amani Institute's mission is to prepare a new generation of leaders creating careers and lives of meaning and impact. We do this by developing new models of education and training that enable participants to develop the practical skills and networks for long-term career success.
Our core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Post-Graduate Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs concurrently in Kenya, India, and Brazil, and which has so far enrolled 440 Fellows from 60 countries in every continent. The program has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, The Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, Vanity Fair, and The Huffington Post among other publications.
Amani Institute also develops customized training programs for foundations, universities, NGOs, and companies. Our 75+ clients to-date have included the US government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), UNICEF, Vodafone, Ashoka, Georgetown University, Oxfam GB, CARE, and HIVOS.
Amani Institute is a fast-growing non-profit organization founded in 2011. Today we have “campuses” in Nairobi, Kenya, Bengaluru, India, and Sao Paulo, Brazil, and a staff with deep prior experience in the business, education, and social sectors. In addition, we are fortunate to be advised and supported by a faculty roster of over 50 global professionals at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace laureate, experts in leadership development from McKinsey & Company, a major documentary producer, a leading foundation director, and many others.
Through developing individuals who have the knowledge, practical skills, vision, courage, and networks to take on major challenges, our larger goal is to build much-needed capacity in organizations addressing social problems, thus enabling more effective operations across the entire field.
About the Position
It is a joy to work on helping other people build meaningful careers and lives. Around the world, there are increasing numbers of people seeking to build such careers but are unsure how to go about it. We invite you to apply to join us and help lead the process of measuring what we have promised to do and improve how we are doing it.
The Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E) Manager will be responsible for the design, coordination and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation, research, and learning frameworks of all Amani Institute Programs, both in-country (in India, Kenya and Brazil) and globally. These currently comprise 3 global programs, 1 local program in Brazil, our in-house consulting and capacity-building work, and our public events. Each program is tied to a specific impact level. The M&E manager will revise the current monitoring framework (as needed) to improve the gathering of both qualitative and quantitative evidence by each Program. He/she will also provide technical assistance to program managers and country leaders with regard to M&E, as well as to the communications managers with regard to reporting our impact.
This role will report to the Executive Director of Amani Institute.
1) Setting up the system:
- Assist in the revision of the programs log frame matrix, particularly in the areas of performance indicators and their measurement.
- Assist with the overall operating framework for M&E across the organization.
- Review the quality of existing data, the methods of collecting it, and the degree to which it provides good data for impact evaluation.
- Develop baseline data for each program and for all performance indicators.
- Assist with the creation of the M&E system into the Salesforce platform.
2) Implementing the system:
- Oversee the collection of data on a regular basis to measure achievement against performance indicators.
- Review data quality with local staff in each country where Amani operates, as well as with global staff.
- Maintain and administer the M&E database; analyze and aggregate findings.
- Prepare progress reporting and presentation of data on all programs, mid-term reviews, and final evaluations for external communication including, but not limited to donor reports, annual reports, and social media communications.
- Identify lessons learned and develop case studies to capture qualitative outputs of the programs.
- Provide advice to the global management team on improving project performance using M&E findings.
- University degree – bachelor’s or master’s – in statistics, demographics, public policy, international development, economics, or related fields.
- Advanced certificate in M&E, statistics or economics is an advantage.
- Minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in an M&E position responsible for implementing M&E activities. M&E experience in Educational Programs preferred.
- Experience in designing and managing monitoring and database systems to aid in donor reporting.
- Experience in strategic planning and performance measurement, including indicator selection, target setting, reporting, database management, and developing M&E and performance monitoring plans.
- Knowledge of current monitoring and evaluation methodologies, including leading frameworks, data collection and analysis tools.
- Experience in planning and managing surveys.
- Experience in developing and refining data collection tools.
- Experience with data quality assessments and oversight.
- Experience in managing and providing training to partners and target beneficiaries on M&E processes and systems.
Personal Competencies and skills:
- Excellent written and spoken command of English. Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Good computer applications skills. Knowledge of Salesforce management is an advantage.
- Good organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently with a minimum amount of supervision.
- Ability to work under time pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in diverse and global environments.
- Ability to facilitate and serve as project liaison for externally-managed evaluations.
- Demonstrated passion for making social impact, at both local and global levels.
- Evidence of being a doer – strong work ethic, and high degree of performance and self-accountability.
- Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills, with high degree of empathy.
- Comfortable in a fast-growing, startup-like environment.
- Comfort with communicating and networking with people from the most diverse geographical, social, and economic backgrounds.
- Ability to enjoy working on many different projects at once.
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if:
- You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential in their career.
- You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is "your responsibility" or not.
- You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life.
- You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth.
- You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work.
Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience for a social enterprise non-profit organization
Application deadline: August 24th, 2019
Location: Preferably based in São Paulo, Bangalore or Nairobi or willing to spend extended time in some or all of these locations
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, so please send your application as soon as possible!