India Communications Coordinator
Wanted! A self-directed and passionate communications professional with at least 2-3 years of work experience in communications and social media management, with excellent English writing skills, basic design skills and a demonstrated passion for social impact. Eligible to work in India.
About Amani Institute
Responding to the widely perceived gap between university education and the employment marketplace, Amani Institute's mission is to prepare a new generation of leaders creating careers and lives of meaning and impact. We do this by developing new models of education and training that enable participants to develop the practical skills and networks for long-term career success.
Our core methodology comes to life in our award-winning Post-Graduate Certificate in Social Innovation Management, which runs concurrently in Kenya, India, and Brazil, and which has so far enrolled 440 Fellows from 60 countries in every continent. The program has been featured in Fast Company, Forbes, The Stanford Social Innovation Review, CNBC Africa, Vanity Fair, and The Huffington Post among other publications.
Amani Institute also develops customized training programs for foundations, universities, NGOs, and companies. Our 75+ clients to-date have included the US government’s Young African Leaders Initiative (YALI), UNICEF, Vodafone, Ashoka, Georgetown University, Oxfam GB, CARE, and HIVOS.
Amani Institute is a fast-growing non-profit organization founded in 2011. Today we have “campuses” in Nairobi, Kenya, Bengaluru, India, and Sao Paulo, Brazil, and a staff with deep prior experience in the business, education, and social sectors. In addition, we are fortunate to be advised and supported by a faculty roster of over 50 global professionals at the top of their industries, including a Nobel Peace laureate, experts in leadership development from McKinsey & Company, a major documentary producer, a leading foundation director, and many others.
Through developing individuals who have the knowledge, practical skills, vision, courage, and networks to take on major challenges, our larger goal is to build much-needed capacity in organizations addressing social problems, thus enabling more effective operations across the entire field.
About the Position
It is a joy to work on helping other people to build meaningful careers and lives. Around the world, there are increasing numbers of people seeking to build such careers but are unsure how to go about it. We invite you to apply to join us and help lead the process of building a larger ecosystem that includes our hundreds of partners, alumni, clients, and more. How do we offer them our services? How do we keep them engaged? How do we create a community? These are some of the questions you will help us answer, with a focus on our Indian and Asia activities.
We envision that the Communications Coordinator will focus about 60% of their time on implementing Amani India’s communications strategy and 40% of their time contributing to Amani Institute’s global communications strategy for our different programs in Brazil, Kenya and India. Core skills and work will include editing web content, basic design work, social media management, events management and network building.
This role will report to the India Country Manager as well as the Director of Global Communications.
· Contribute to the global communications strategy that brings a distinctive brand presence to Amani Institute and enables us to achieve our mission.
· Develop (in coordination with the Global Communications Director) and implement the communications strategy for India, aligning local communication content with the global brand and strategy.
· Contribute to internal communications across platforms and processes to ensure that institutional guidelines are met at the national level, local information is shared on institutional platforms, and knowledge sharing is occurring across the organization.
· Liaise with Indian media to promote our efforts locally and globally.
Storytelling and Design: Content Creation and Distribution
· Develop systematic storytelling of Amani Institute’s impact in India, achievements by Amani Fellows and faculty members, and engagement with the global movement towards careers of meaning and impact.
· Develop and update visual design materials to support the Amani India office in accordance with the global branding strategy
· Disseminate print and electronic collateral including program proposals, information videos, periodic newsletters, brochures, annual reports, funding reports, blog posts, etc.
· Proof-read and edit content created by non-native English-speaking staff and contributors.
· Update the Amani Institute website and contribute to web content development for India
· Implement the global social media strategy, also coordinating the publication of content from Kenya and Brazil and engaging in digital conversations with our followers on Amani social media profile pages and other relevant groups.
· Track user engagement and other analytics to ensure effectiveness of the digital communication and the website.
· Liaise with Indian network partners and alumni through social media, advertisements, flyers, in-person events, etc to achieve our recruitment targets both for individuals and organizations.
· Promote and represent the organization at conferences and events in India, as appropriate.
· Support the Community Director in efforts to keep strategic communities engaged in our work, and the Amani India team in building and maintaining partnerships with current and future stakeholders in India, such as our Fellows, clients (NGOs, foundations, and universities), employer partners, and other network partners
· Manage and update the organizational database
Marketing and Business Development
· Support business development activities in India for our various programs and offers, ensuring communication material is always up to date and adapted to the context. Our clients come from different sectors such as SMEs, impact investing organizations, educational institutions, INGOs, etc.
· Contribute to writing funding and business proposals
· Demonstrated passion for making social impact, at both local and global levels
· Evidence of being a doer – strong work ethic, and high degree of performance and self-accountability
· Ability to pay close attention to the details that make the difference between doing a good job and doing a great one
· Strong interpersonal communication skills, with high degree of empathy
· Comfortable in a fast-growing, startup-like environment
· Comfort with communicating and networking with people from the most diverse geographical, social, and economic backgrounds
· Ability to enjoy working on many different projects at once
· Native English speaker with excellent written and oral communication skills
· 2-3 years of experience in communication, with a broad knowledge of digital marketing tools including social media, mailing platforms, database management systems, and other digital communication means
· Basic design skills (Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator or Indesign)
· Eligibility to work in India, with at least 6-months of work experience in the country
· Undergraduate degree in any field
· Comfort with collaborating virtually across global teams
Additionally, we will look favorably upon candidates who can demonstrate the following:
· Familiarity with the social impact sector
· International work experience
· Knowledge of Google analytics/Google adwords, basic HTML/CSS and content management platforms such as WordPress
· Digital campaign planning and analysis experience
· Undergraduate or Master’s level training in communications, marketing, PR, journalism and related fields
· Video-editing skills
· Advanced design skills
You would be a good fit with our organizational culture if:
· You have a passion for helping individuals achieve their full potential in their career
· You proactively initiate action when you see a problem, regardless of whether it is "your responsibility" or not
· You are curious and enthusiastic to keep learning new skills throughout your life
· You love working with people from very different backgrounds, as that can lead to new ideas, fun experiences, and opportunities for growth
· You are comfortable bringing your whole self to work
Compensation: Commensurate with skills and experience for a social enterprise non-profit organization
Application deadline: June 23rd, 2019
Expected Start Date: Preferably by the end of July 2019
Applications will be evaluated on a rolling basis, so please send your application as soon as possible!